[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 22:22:47 CDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Venkateswaran N E via Advaita-l <

> To differentiate between the adhiSTAna (of jagat) and svarUpa (of jIva), I
> am attempting two analogies as follows.
> Request the learned members to comment.
>
> 1. Brahman being the adhiSTAna of jagat can be explained by the mirage in
> the desert, wherein the mirage has nAma-rUpa but ultimately it is bhrama
> (illusion) with the hot sand being only the adhiSTAna, but not its svarUpa.
>
> 2. The svarUpa of jIva being Brahman can be explained using the
> gold-ornaments example, wherein when you remove the nAma-rUpa of the
> ornaments, only the gold (svarUpa) remains.

I find the  gold-ornaments example is analogy of the Brahman being the
adhiSTAna of jagat..  though the ornaments ( jagat) is experienced, it is
not paramArthikam, while Brahman alone is ...

While, the mirage in the desert or rajju-sarpa example, analogous to the
svarUpa of jIva being Brahman - like the non-existent water or the
no-existent sarpa, jIva is non-existent at all times ( jagrat, svapna or
sushupti)