[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Why only jagat is mithya and jeeva is brahman !!??

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 07:44:09 CDT 2016

Sri Ravi Kiran Ji,

Reg  <<  As you know one pramANa will never contradict other pramANa.  And
now the
> important question is :  why at all the names and forms of this
> multifarious jagat to be declared as mithya (when it is pratyaksha pramANa
> siddha ) to realize the Agama pramANita ekatvaM of brahman??

Because Sruti says so ..

*vAchArambanam* vikAram nAmadeyam, mrtikka eva satyam

Neti-neti >>,

I was really not keen to join the discussion. But could not resist seeing
your response. It is correct to say one pramana cannot contradict another
pramana.  Why ?? Because that is the definition of pramana !!! The correct
answer to the question you have tried to answer is that the vishaya for
pratyaksha is only what is seen at present, and not what was seen earlier
or what is likely to be seen later. It is therefore NOT a pramana for
Brahman which is what is not negated anytime past,present or future. So
there is no contradiction between pratyaksha and Agama pramanas.

 Then the question arises Brahman is not seen at present. So how can it be
“existing” all the time past,present and future?? The answer is not
everything that is there at any given time is seen by any  or all the
pramanas. It is very easy to prove this even from daily experience. We do
not see for example dust particles,even light (in the absence of objects
illumined by it) etc.

This is a subject debated extensively between the advaitins and dvaitins
vide Advaita Sidhi/Nyayamruta. But for our purposes here, in a discussion
amongst the advaitins only, suffice it to say there is no contradiction
between pratyaksha and Agama pramanas here.