[Advaita-l] Why was the illusory universe generated at the first place?

Nagesh Tavaragerimath nageeta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:52:41 CDT 2016

Respected All,
Pranams.

All the learned on the team have gone to the great depths of philosophical
details in providing an answer. Much respected with such a wealth of
information on this thread.

The question is akin to asking, why does a baby cry / play / laugh / hug /
kiss on a daily basis. Let us just imagine a baby born into this world and
never crying / pestering or any of such activities and just keeps growing
by having it's own food. Is this possible (unless in rare instances of
physiological deficiencies) at all, in case of a normal baby? Not that one
can think of, right? Reason is simple......the energy (Shankti) is making
the baby do all those things in it's daily activities. This energy is the
root cause of all the things that one can perceive, on a day-to-day basis.
The energy cannot be idle......ever! The very first verse of Soundarya
Lahari goes as:

Shivah Shaktyaa Yukto Yadi Bhavati Shaktah Prabhavitum
Nache Devam Devo Na Khalu Kushalah "Spanditumapee"......

It is this Shakti, that is playing the 'dance of Maya'.

Maya is probably the basis, with the help of which, Shankti is able to see
and realize the Supreme Awareness. Without Maya it may be not possible for
Shakti to realize the Awareness, as there is no difference between Shakti
and Supreme Awareness.

With sincere apologies, for daring to answer this impossible question, in
layman terms!

With sincere pranams,
Nagesh Tavarageri

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Aurobind Padiyath via Advaita-l <