[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon May 9 11:39:07 CDT 2016

Namaste Sri Chandramouliji,

<<There jiva who is the Creator ( who creates prAjna also ) later gets
"liberated" and I was seeking clarification if that prakriya is independent
of the Bhashya or is based on the Bhashya.>>

Could you please provide the source of your comment that, as elaborated
by PrakAshAnanda, jIva who is the creator, creates prAjna also?

Both Swami Paramarthanandaji and VichArasAgara describe jIva in this
context as chaitanyam with avidyA upAdhi. So my understanding is that DSV
holds that it is prAjna that creates the waking world and dream world. I
haven't seen prAjna described as "created", anywhere. Could you provide the
source?

The footnote on Page 55 of द्वितीयस्तरंग defines दृष्टसृष्टिवाद as:
दृष्टिर्नाम अवाद्यावृत्तिरूपं ज्ञानं । तादृशज्ञानकाल एव
विषयाणामुत्पत्तिरिति यो वादः स एव दृष्टिसृष्टिवाद इति शास्त्रेषु कथितः ।

So here Vasudeva Brahmendra Sarasvati takes drishTi not of the form of an
antahkaraNa vritti, but avidyA/kAraNa sharIra vritti. DSV is an elaboration
of MANdUkya 6 in my opinion.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan
Sri Venkatraghavan Ji,

I am not sure if I have stated my query wrongly. prAjna is Iswara only (
Mandukya mantra 6 ). In the BU discussing sushupti, jiva is resolved into
his kAraNa sharIra. Only Chaitanyam with avidya obtains in sushupti. BU
goes to great lengths to pointout that sushupti is the nearest experience
for the jiva of Chaitanyam itself. Creation springs out of
prAjna/Chaitanyam(sushupti state as in BU). But this prAjna is not the one
who gets "liberated" later. It is the jiva who was in resolved state and
who is different from prAjna who gets "liberated" later. That is not so in
the " Eka Jiva vAda/DSV as elaborated by PrakAshAnanda " which I had
mentioned earlier. There jiva who is the Creator ( who creates prAjna also
) later gets "liberated" and I was seeking clarification if that prakriya
is independent of the Bhashya or is based on the Bhashya. I hope I am clear.

Pranams and Regards