[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Mon May 23 08:36:53 CDT 2016

Namaste Chandramouliji,

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 6:08 PM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Against my observation    << The Sidhanta is that Realization is
> possible ONLY through mahAvAkya upadEsha by the Guru.>>,
>

> your response was  << The knowledge of one being the non-dual reality is
> possible only through Shruti taught by the Guru. And I do not consider that
> DSV as either outside the Shruti or not taught by the tradition. So none of
> what I said means anything contrary to what you assert.>>.
>

> I am quoting below from your earlier post
>

> << In that light, the tat tvam asi vAkyajnAna which is after the
> padajnAna of three words, is unnecessary for one who understands the tvam
> itself as the sacchidAnanda svarUpa, which is otherwise obtained by
> bhAgatyAga between tat and tvam.>>.
>

> If vAkyajnAna is unnecessary does it not mean that vAkya itself is
> superfluous and unnecessary?

No, it doesn't. Apologies if my usage of vAkyajnAna led to such a
conclusion, but as I said in my last mail to Ryan ji, vAcyArtha is not
mokShakAraka, but lakShyArtha is.

> It could as well be substituted by just a pada (पद ).

Which pada is to be answered and is tvampada as_taught_in_DSV.

> In other words according to your statement mahAvAkya itself is superfluous
> and unnecessary.

Those may be other words but not what I meant. As already conveyed earlier,
mahAvAkya is that statement which reveals one's true nature as non-dual
saccidAnanda, which is not restricted to tattvamasi or four well-known
ones. Each Upanishad has at least one mahAvAkya, without which there are no
Upanishads.

> So where is the question of Guru giving its upadEsha? This is what I meant
> in my above first cited quote.

I don't think the student would land on DSV teaching all by himself without
guru upadesha! The guru upAdesha can be mahAvAkya lakShyArtha directly as
explained in tvam of DSV. I don't consider the final teaching of SDV and
DSV to be different.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */