[Advaita-l] Shankara and DrishTi-SrishTi vAda - eka jeeva vaada

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Tue May 24 07:39:56 CDT 2016

Namaste Anandji, Chandramouliji,

Thanks to Anandji for quoting Madhusudhana Sarasvati.

 Tue, May 24, 2016 at 2:04 PM, H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <

> I have a doubt. In the view of its authors, is the DSV considered an
> independent postulate based purely on reasoning ( independent of the
> shrutis ), much like sAmkhya, yOga darshana etc,  but expounding the
> ultimate advaita sidhAnta and drawing support from the shruti for its
> arguments.

The other darShanas consider Shruti as secondary means of right knowledge,
DSV doesn't. DSV builds over Shruti as the primary means and uses logic
from the Shruti itself as secondary means.

> My doubt is based on the following. Sri  PrakAshAnanda in his
> sidhAntamuktAvali begins with the following statement

> << The grammatical construction is as follows : Having gained through Veda
> an intuition of the Self with its four abovementioned charecteristics,
> reasoning, ie. Ratiocination which is confirmatory of Veda, is now
> expounded in regard to it, tatra , ie. the Self as characterized in the
> aforesaid manner.  >>.

I would say that "Ratiocination* *_which_is_confirmatory_of_Veda_**" itself
should answer the question that it is Shruti-based tarka.

> Thus the emphasis is purely on reasoning ( logic ) only.

Shruti-based logic, that is, based on उपपत्ति लिङ्ग among the षड्लिङs used
for the तात्पर्यनिर्णय of the Shruti.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */