[Advaita-l] Fwd: Article on Shankara in Vijayavani paper

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri May 27 04:16:22 CDT 2016

 Reposting this to the forum as my previous response did not make it.

Thank you Subbuji for posting the bhAshya of this slokA - both of them
happen to be among my favourites.

Just a few additions that came to mind:
1. Firstly, Shankara clearly says that both shItoshNAdi (heat, cold etc)
and their causes (external objects that cause these) are असत्, which as you
correctly observe, means मिथ्या in this context.  His use of सकारणं in
शीतोष्णस्य सकारणस्य न विद्यते is very important as not only is Shankara
saying that the experiences of heat, cold, etc are mithyA, but the objects
that cause those experiences are mithyA too.
2) Secondly, Shankara doesn't say that the असद्बुद्धि is असत्, what he says
is that the objects they denote are असत्. यद्विषया बुद्धिर्न व्यभिचरति, तत्
सत्; यद्विषया व्यभिचरति, तदसत् - The object of the buddhi that deviates is
asat.
3) Thirdly, all the examples he uses to show the सद्बुद्धि and असद्बुद्धि
involve external objects, not just jIva created value judgments, ahamkAra
and mamakArA about those objects. सन् घटः, सन् पटः, सन् हस्ती इति ।
3) एवं सर्वत्र तयोर्बुद्ध्योः घटादिबुद्धिः व्यभिचरति । तथा च दर्शितम् । न
तु सद्बुद्धिः । Here the ghaTa, paTa all are asat because their knowledge
deviates - before the pot existed, there is no ghaTa buddhi, and after the
pot is destroyed there is no ghaTa buddhi. Only when the pot is existing,
the pot buddhi exists. Therefore the object of pot buddhi, the pot, is असत्.
4) On the other hand, the sann (is) in ghaTa: sann, paTa: sann, is sat,
because it's knowledge does not deviate. The sann is always there whether
the pot exists or not - it is there in the clay before the pot is created,
it is there in the pot, and it is there in the pot shards after the pot is
destroyed.

Therefore, in my view, this sloka is about the mithyAtva of all objects,
not just the mithyatva of arjuna's shOka and mOha.

Regards,

Venkatraghavan