[Advaita-l] neo-Vedanta and Christianity

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Nov 1 01:58:35 CDT 2016

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016, Vineet Menon via Advaita-l wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> There are some naysayers in Western Academia who opine that Neo-Vedanta was
> Vedanta incorporated with Western (read Christian) ideas (for example
> Halbfass). I for one know that certain Indian authors like Rajiv Malhotra
> tries to disprove this thesis in some of his books like Indra's Net etc.
>
> Does the good folks in this list know of any scholars/authors (Indians or
> otherwise) who take a similar opinion?

Well let's start with some proper definitions.  What is Neo-Vedanta?
What makes it "neo"?  For example I am writing in English but I don't
think the Vedantic concepts I explain and the way I explain them are
particularly neo.  But undoubtedly there are people who I would call
"Neo-Vedantins" for whom "incorporating Christian ideas" would be an
accurate description.

So we need to make sure we are discussing the same concepts/people if we
are to have a fruitful discussion.