[Advaita-l] Ontological status of avidyA

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:18:49 CST 2016

Namaste Sri Venkatraghavan Ji,

Reg  << I am not saying avidyA is adhyasta on Brahman, I am saying avidyA
is, to use Shankaracharya's words, tattvanyatvAbhyAm anirvachanIya,
incapable of classification as one with Brahman or otherwise.>>,

Then what I had mentioned in my earlier post namely

quote  << As you have yourself clarified, avidya having Brahman as locus is
to be understood as avidya being the adhyasta and Brahman as adhishthAna,
one being
mithya​ ​(​ unreal​)​ and the other real. >> unquote

can be taken as my view.  But I would only like to pointout that

<< incapable of classification as one with Brahman or otherwise >>

is the definition of adhyasta in the current context.