[Advaita-l] Shruti prAmANya and jnAna

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 07:31:46 CDT 2016

Namaste Srinathji,

On 5 Oct 2016 5:46 pm, "Srinath Vedagarbha" <svedagarbha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Knowledge gained by your vision is by default prAmaNya (this prAmANya
svatstva) unless it is contradicted by other piece of knowledge that "I am
having jaundice". So, any aprAMANya, if at all it exist, has to supply from
outside of the initial knowledge. This is the doctrine of aprAmANya parataH.

Unless contradicted is very much what is talked of. This contradiction can
be in form of pratibandhakas also.

> Every time you do not test your vision to confirm the validity of your
vision. Validity is intrinsic unless known otherwise.

Why is dream falsified on waking then? The same waking pramANas were active
then. The subject doesn't have a choice in using the pramANa differently,
but he can reject it. Even if you rejected the pramANa once, the prAmANya
has gone w.r.t. that pramA, because it is subjective to that individual.

> That's fine, that's all comes once aprAmANya for shruti is eliminated
(and prAmANya is confirmed). But my question was how do you substantiate
lack of apAmANya when it was said vedAs are also kalpita (by a single
chaitanya) along with entire jagat advaita system? Isn't it kalpita
equivalent to authored?

You can superimpose authorship idea on advaitins for Vedas, when we say
that kalpita has a beginning. anAdi works great for us.