[Advaita-l] Supremacy of Shiva over Vishnu

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 1 18:30:11 CDT 2016

Dear friends,

The Vedanta equates Shiva and Vishnu (e.g., Shivasya Hrdayam Vishnu, Vishnoccha Hrdayam Shiva) and that is exactly what it is for Adi Shankara and the other advaitins at the paramarthika level. Lord Krishna himself was initiated by his guru Sandipani  into the Mahapashupata doctrine, according to which Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu are equal.  One who has read the Mahabharata well,  knows that in the Mahabharata (which has the Bhagavad Gita in it),  Arjuna prayed to Lord Shiva by Chanting " Namah Shivaya Vishnuroopine, Vishnave Shivaroopine. . . . . .".

At the vyavaharika level there are pujas for the different deities and one may have more devotion to one's favored deity, one's Ishtadevata. . Though the general impression of the people is that at the Vyavaharika level, Adi Shankara is considered as a Shaivite, it is also quite natural for scholars like  Matthew  Clark to observe that Adi Shankara appears to be more Vaishnavite than a Shaivite he was. That is because Adi Shankara wrote bhashya on Vishnusahasranama but not on Shivasahasranama, on Bhagavad Gita but not on Shiva Gita,  on Bhajagovindam but not on Bhajamaheshwaran etc. It is believed that Adi Shankara's mother was a devotee of Lord Vishnu and his father was a devotee pf Lord Shiva. I can personally understand the situation as my mother was from a Vaishnava family and my father from a Shaivite family and I worship both Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. One can argue till the cows come home, but what is important for the advaitins is that Shiva and Vishnu are the same.

As regards the Dashanami Samprdaya, I have not read Matthew  Clark's recent book on the Dashanami samnyasis, but to my knowledge nowhere did Adi Shankara mention that he created the Dashanami sects. This being the case, many people may think  that the Dashanami sects could have been established by another Shankaracharya. May be, the scholars of this list have the answer to this.

Regards.
Sunil KB