[Advaita-l] Supremacy of Shiva over Vishnu

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 12:08:50 CDT 2016

Dear Sri Subramanian ji,

Thank you for clarification. I understood that intro of verse 5 is given at
the end of commentary on verse 3. However, after, the last para is
incomplete and then I could not find consistency. Generally in Gita Press,
the pada bhashya and Vakya bhashya both continue separately on another
page.

In this case, last part of commentary on verse 3 ( which is actually an
intro of verse 5 as you say), ends abruptly

---
(hindi) शिष्यके व्याज अथवा उसके वाक्यसे उसकी इस आशंकाको उपलक्षित कर कहते है
- एसी शंका मत करो,

and this ends.

I think the continuation is the pada bhashya of verse 4 in Gita PRess (page
81). Starting as a new para is what confused me.

जो चैतन्य सत्तास्वरुप ब्रह्म वाणीसे [अप्रकाशित है] - ...

What I understand is that verse 4 of Gita Press does not contain pada
bhashya, if I compare it with Sitaram's Translation.

I hope I have understood correctly :)

These are moola sloka-s in Gita Press

न तत्र चक्षुर्गच्छति न वाग्गच्छति नो मनो न विद्मो न विजानीमो
यथैतदनुशिष्यादन्यदेव तद्विदितादथो अविदितादधि |
इति शुश्रुम पूर्वेषां ये नस्तद्व्याचचक्षिरे ॥ ३ ॥

na tatra cakṣurgacchati na vāggacchati no mano na vidmo na vijānīmo
yathaitadanuśiṣyādanyadeva tadviditādatho aviditādadhi |
iti śuśruma pūrveṣāṃ ye nastadvyācacakṣire || 3 ||

3. The eye does not go there, nor speech, nor mind. We do not know That. We
do not know how to instruct one about It. It is distinct from the known and
above the unknown. We have heard it so stated by preceptors who taught us
that. (3).

यद्वाचानभ्युदितं येन वागभ्युद्यते ।
तदेव ब्रह्म त्वं विद्धि नेदं यदिदमुपासते ॥ ४ ॥

yadvācānabhyuditaṃ yena vāgabhyudyate |
tadeva brahma tvaṃ viddhi nedaṃ yadidamupāsate || 4 ||

4. What speech does not enlighten, but what enlightens speech, know that
alone to be the Brahman, not this which (people) here worship.

यन्मनसा न मनुते येनाहुर्मनो मतम् ।
तदेव ब्रह्म त्वं विद्धि नेदं यदिदमुपासते ॥ ५ ॥

yanmanasā na manute yenāhurmano matam |
tadeva brahma tvaṃ viddhi nedaṃ yadidamupāsate || 5 ||

5. What one cannot think with the mind, but by which they say the mind is
made to think, know That alone to be the Brahman, not this which (people)
here worship. (5)

Kind Regards
Sujal