[Advaita-l] How can prANa be Brahman?

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 03:25:42 CDT 2016

Dear,
You got me wrong.
Brahman is pure awareness, is beyond mAyA. jIva is reflection of this
Brahman. I explained the process how one consciousness manifests into many
via different types of prANa-s. These prANa-s and then spread through body
through nADI-s and make sensation possible.

During yoga, the reverse is followed. prANa-s merge into Atman.

*You say that consciousness which exits re enters the body which is in a
> state of pulseless,breathless state and the mind is also not capable of
> perceiving

When this happens, one is not aware of body anymore and enters nirvikalp
samAdhi. This is breathless pulseless state - the nirvikalp samAdhi.

But we are not able to stay rooted in Brahman permanently due to presence
of past vAsanA-s and karma-s. Hence consciousness re-enters into body and
again this process of manifestation happens. when prANa again splits into
many and spreads across the whole body, body begins to function.

*Does it mean consciousness is an independent entity that can go outside
> the body and again comeback at its will?Why it should behave like this?If
> consciousness is equated with Brahman then if it all it exits then it
> follows the body becomes lifeless.Iam not able to follow your thought

Consciousness, as Brahman or when realised as Brahman, is always
independent entity. What I am talking about is that in Yoga, Atman (jIva)
merges into Brahman via the above mentioned process and then again reenters
into body to expatiate past karma and vAsanA-s. This goes on and on until
all desires, which are in mind are destroyed. Without any desires and
thoughts, there is no mind. Hence mind too is destroyed. This results into
permanent abiding in Brahman, which is pure consciousness beyond mAyA. some
believe that one does not experience nivikalp samAdhi unless all desires
and so mind is destroyed. Once one experiences Brahman, he/she permanently
abides in it. There is no coming back. - However this is a wrong notion.
One enters into samAdhi, again returns back to dual plane, then mind
creates thoughts, and desires, thoughts and desires are uprooted to
contemplation on Brahman or by Yogic process, mind calms down, again enters
into samAdhi, is again pulled back in dual plane as there are still some
vAsanA-s left ... this goes on and on until mind is completely destroyed.

Body is always lifeless. It is a tool to progress spiritually. Even dead
body has eyes, but it does not have vision. This vision is ability to see
things. 5 senses lie inside mind. Mind along with 5 senses transmigrate
from one body to another.

If there is no consciousness in body, then even if you pierce a sharp
object in eye, dead person does not react.

Consciousness, is always free and untouched by mAyA. But this has to be
realised. Once this is realised, everything else becomes mithyA, not real.
One detaches oneself from all that is not Self. Only when jIva takes
ownership of all the karma-s, becomes kartA and bhoktA. It is this
consciousness that cannot at will leave physical body. However great yogi-s
can leave their physical body and travel in subtle worlds and can even
transmigrate into another body. shAstra-s too say that consciousness
(Brahman) is always free. If it is not free then Brahman will become bound
and Atman or Brahman can be realised only be karma and not GYAna (Jnana).

Are you getting it?

OM

Sujal