[Advaita-l] Advaita and Madhyamika Buddhism

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 04:32:00 CDT 2016

Namaste Raghav ji,

"just that there are many who stick to such Tamil works. Can such an
approach not lead to jnAna at all"

This topic is briefly dealt with in a work called Vichara Sagara - you may
be familiar with it. There the author, Nishchala dasa considers the
question whether vedAnta shAstra needs to necessarily be in the Sanskrit
language or not and concludes that 1) provided that the teaching is in line
with shruti 2) is taught by a shrotriya guru, is sufficient for jnAna. The
important thing is that the message is shruti sammata and is delivered by a
competent authority.

Therefore the answer to the first part of your question, "can the teaching
be in a language other than in Sanskrit", at least in my view, is yes. The
answer to the second part of your question, "can the learning be through a
book, without a live guru", is sadly no. Of course there can be exceptions
to the rule, but we need to observe the rule, not the exceptions.

In relation to the topic of this thread - I just want to clarify that I am
NOT trying to make the point that "mAdhyamika Buddhism is in essence
vedAnta", just speculating on the nature of advaita's response to
mAdhyamika, as gleaned from extant works.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Raghav Kumar via Advaita-l <