[Advaita-l] Buddha an avatar of Vishnu?

Sudhakar Kabra sudhakarkabra at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 22 10:44:33 CDT 2016

I would like to add some thoughts and also would like to get clarifications from the learned members.
Some salient information:1.Buddhism did not believe in any God or Ishwara. Nor do they believe in Atman.2. They also do not believe in vedas.3. Prior to attaining nirvana / leaving this mortal coil, there were no idol worship in Budddhism.4. Later followers of Buddhism developed many idols of Buddha and some started a form of worship (not akin to our Bhakti marg type) but just to propagate buddhism.
Our Hindu pantheon is much older than Buddha. A question was asked to a swamiji as to how then Buddha became an avatar of hindus.
His reply was that hinduism is very versatile and embraces everyone.Whenever there is a harm to dharma, the lord takes an avatar. (Yada yada hi dharmasya ......)
The need for that day and time was the animal killing and violence in the name of sacrifice.Also all kind of unwanted karma passed in the name of religion.Dharma was at its lowest ebb and everything got passed under its name.
To stop that,   Buddha advocated the path of non-violence and restored the dharma. That is the reason of treating him as an avatar in hinduism.Violence and killing stopped and to some extent dharma was restored. But not the vedas.
In due course of time in history, there was a need to establish the dharma more correctly.So realised masters came and restored it further by the correct use of vedic concept,thereby removing the shunya of Buddhism by Brahman and Ishwara of vedanta.
Since Buddha restored dharma and hence the reason for treating him as an avatar.
Regards,Sudhakar Kabra.