[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Maya and avidhya ?T

Ravi Kiran ravikiranm108 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 01:00:11 CDT 2016

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Praveen R. Bhat <bhatpraveen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As per one line of thought, there is no need to posit avidyA (locus) in
>> nirguna nirvisesha Brahman (though Brahman is opposed to Nothing, as seen
>> in creation), as avidyA/mAya is upAdhi Ashrita, but never in para brahman,
>>

> The question then would be: can the upAdhi be sentient? If not, it cannot
> be the locus for avidyA, as mentioned y'day to be debated by
> Sureshvaracharya in NS. If sentient, it is non-different from brahman.

Yes, ananyatvam is verily accepted, but  nirupAdhika Brahman (which is
completely free or devoid of any trace of avidyA (or upAdhi), is certainly
posited. Before creation, is one such instance, where there is no trace of
avidyA whatsoever.
The very creation Its anIrvachanIya power ?

Through sadyO mukti (mahA vAkya janita BrahmAtmaikatva jnAna), one verily
is That (paramArtham).

I am sure, both schools have their well proven yukti's and wont necessarily
converge no matter what :) Those who have more details on both lines of
thought, can share such details for benefit of reading/understanding.

But, when it comes to mahA vAkya janita paramArtha jnAna destroying avidyA
completely, there are no 2 opinions among Advaitis :)