[Advaita-l] Musings on matter

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 13:59:37 EDT 2017

A message shared in a WhatsApp group:

Hari Om Divine Souls ,

Subhodayam 🙏

Do you know Straight lines and perfect circles don't exist in reality, all
perfect shapes are mathematical abstractions.

They exist on paper and computer graphics only .

There are No Perfect Shapes in Material Reality.

there is no perfect line or circle in the entire universe (and unless you
count imperfect shapes that constantly change at the quantum and molecular
level as “perfect”).

In reality, all objects are three-dimensional objects in spacetime made of
quanta, there are no exceptions.

We can represent a straight line or perfect circle with mathematics (the
basis of geometry), or we can approximate it on paper or using a computer
(the visual part of geometry), but we can never actually create a straight
line .

The concept of perfect shapes is a sort of transcendent rational thing of
both metaphysics and physics, there are no perfect shapes in material
reality.

So is geometry a lie ?

 are we misunderstanding the universe by looking for perfect reflections of
all our rational ideas in the material universe?

Everything you’ve learned in school as ‘obvious’ becomes less and less
obvious as you begin to study the universe. For example, there are no
solids in the universe. There’s not even a suggestion of a solid. There are
no absolute continuums. There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines.

Hari Om 🙏🙏🙏