[Advaita-l] DSV in the advaitasiddhi: adhyAsa is substantiated

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 01:05:19 EDT 2017

Namaste Sri Ravi Kiran ji,

The typical prakriya involved in the perception of a bhrama is that the
ajnAna located in the consciousness delimited by the object is the upAdAna
kAraNa for the bhrama.

Here the siddhikAra wants to establish that adhyAsa can be substantiated in
DSV too. So he proved that shukti ajnAna is the upAdAna kAraNa for shukti
rajata bhrama in DSV.
Now,
1) The drishti srishti prakriyA does not differentiate between vyAvahArika
and prAtibhAsika satya.
2) Thus shukti also must have some ajnAna as its upAdAna kAraNa.
3) Because of jnAtaikasatta in DSV, the jnAna of a vastu also implies its
existence.
4) Thus shukti jnAna also can be said to be the upAdAna kAraNa of shukti.
5) Therefore ajnAna (from 2) = jnAna (from 4).
6) Because it would be absurd to say shukti ajnAna = shukti jnAna, or some
unrelated object's ajnAna, say, ghaTa ajnAna = shukti jnAna, we have to
admit the ajnAna from 2 is brahma ajnAna.
7) If we do that, we do differentiate between vyAvahArika vastu which has
brahma ajnAna as its upAdAna kAraNa and prAtibhAsika which has
brahmAtirikta ajnAna as its upAdAna kAraNa. This is contrary to 1.

Not only that, as the upAdAna kAraNa is different, the bAdhaka jnAna for
vyAvahArika (brahma jnAna) is also different from the bAdhaka jnAna for
prAtibhAsika (shukti jnAna).

How is this any different from SDV, which uses the same reasons to justify
sattA traividhyam?

Regards,
Venkatraghavan