[Advaita-l] Visheshana and Lakshana

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 17 00:28:04 EST 2017

Shri Subrahmanianji,

My question is:  The overall purport or principle underlying the 'vastu
parcchedatva' is 'bheda' which is admitted by all as 'anyonyābhāva'.  Is
there any reference in the nyāya or mīmāmsā or vyākaraṇa śāstra for the
concept of vastu paricchedatva?

The naiyAyikas would like a definition to distinguish the object being
defined from all other objects or in other words to exclude all other
objects from the object being defined, using the term vyavacchedaka dharma
as put forth by vAtsyAyana. However, this is precisely the point where
Shankara differs from the naiyAyikas in the context of giving a definition
for Brahman, in the taittirIya Upanishad bhAShya, as you quoted. Brahman
cannot be distinguished from other objects, because It is inclusive of all
objects. Any distinction from other objects would be make it limited and
not all-inclusive. Hence, the nyAyakosha mentions the view of the vedAntins
separately - vedAntinastu yo dharmo lakShye vyAptyA vartate na vartate
chAnyatra sa dharmaH. The point here is that Brahman is all objects and
more, which is to say Brahman has qualities not present in other objects.
Note this is not the same as saying other objects are excluded from
Brahman. Shankara's bhAShya on Gita verses 9.4-6 is worth reading in this
connection.

Anand