[Advaita-l] Marriage, the world, and brahmacharya

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Sat Dec 23 02:12:53 EST 2017

Does shastra permit one to be a working man in the world, but a brahmachari, without a wife?

If the wife is cooperative in saadhana, the journey would be smooth or else married life become a hell (for those
who are serious saadhakas)

Hence, at the time of the marriage itself, one should openly talk with the bride and their family about one's
tastes and interest in spiritual path to avoid frictions among the married couple.  Otherwise, it is better to
remain a brahmachaari and pursue serious study of scriptures and saadhana.

However, in order to get a good, understanding and caring saha-dharmachAriNi, there is a beautiful shloka which
I chanted and the result was obvious !

पत्नीं मनोरमां देहि मनोवृत्तानुसारिणीम् ।
तारिणीं दुर्गसंसारसागरस्य कुलोद्भवाम् ॥

O Mother ! Give me beautiful wife who obeys me and who can help me in get out of
ocean of samsaara (world) and is born in a good family.

The above shloka is from अर्गळा स्तोत्रं which is recited along with चण्डी पारायण​.

does Advaita agree with Yogic doctrines regarding the spiritual and physical effects of becoming an Urdhvareta?

Yes...

rgs,
sriram