[Advaita-l] A question on PariNAma and vivarta

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 02:05:58 CST 2017

Namaste Sadaji,
The difference because what is the focus of what is being conveyed is
different in the two places.

In the particular place in Panchadashi, Swami Vidyaranya is seeking to
distinguish pariNAma and vivarta. The basis of the differentiation is
whether the substratum is transformed or not. In the case of gold, the gold
bar is moulded into jewelry, so a physical transformation occurs.

The vAcArambhaNam vikAro nAmadheyam shruti is saying that because we are
talking of the ultimate cause in the context, no real transformation is
possible. Therefore even though we talk of separate things such as
ornaments, instruments or pot, they are merely different names and forms
for the underlying cause. The focus here is not on how the cause came to be
the effect (whether through a physical transformation or merely an
appearance), but on there being only vastu, with two names and forms.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On 4 Feb 2017 4:16 a.m., "kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l" <