[Advaita-l] What is the difference between Satkaryavada of Sankhya and Vivarta vada of Advaita

Kripa Shankar kripa.shankar.0294 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 13:22:33 EST 2017

You said :  That is the reason why pariṇāma is treated as non-different, synonymous with, vivarta in Advaita.

‎» As far as I understand, parinama vada follows satkArya vAda. That is, any effect should have an antecedent cause. This vada satisfies how the jagat is created from brahman (or prakruti? ). Brahman is both upadana and nimitta karana for srishti/jagat. But what is the cause of Brahman then?

If we say brahman is both the cause as well as the effect, then the satkāryavāda will not be satisfied, that is cause-effect relation will be nullified. Because when brahman is both the cause and effect, we cannot say which one precedes the other(the effect can precede the cause) . Also brahman being both the cause as well as the effect, will lead to infinite regress. ‎We need another brahman which will be the cause for another brahman which is the effect.
‎
Hence also gold -bangles or mud-pot cannot be vivarta. Because otherwise, the jagat will be brahman and brahman will be jagat. ‎My doubt arose because of this issue.

Regards
Kripa ‎

yo vedAdau svaraH prokto vedAnte cha pratiShThitaH |
tasya prakRRiti-lInasya yaH parassa maheshvaraH || ‎‎