[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Works of Sri Vidyashankara

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 11:54:00 CST 2017

Dear Sunilji,

In general, if you want to answer questions of textual and historical
import, you have to have a more solid basis first to ask questions, not
just some doubts and hunches. Secondly, you should try not to force fit
data to preconceived conclusions.

It looks like you are determined, somehow or the other, to come up with a
different author for the gItAbhAshya than Adi Sankara. So, in your
estimation, it must be anybody else, either an entirely mythical and
non-historical abhinava Sankara or the historical vidyASankara who has
traditionally not been known to have written any texts at all.

Our list member, Niranjan Saha, has already shared with you, by private
email, a very recent paper surveying the academic scholarly output
regarding the authorship of the gItAbhAshya. Please read it with some care.

I don't understand why you would throw out both the tradition that says
that this bhAshya is by Adi Sankara and also the bulk of the modern
scholarship that concludes that this traditional attribution is right.
Instead, you are basing your argument upon a solitary paper that is now
quite outdated, along with a highly speculative attempt at reconstructing
history. The entire exercise is very strange indeed!

Best regards,
Vidyasankar
On Jan 1, 2017 2:29 AM, "Sunil Bhattacharjya via Advaita-l" <