[Advaita-l] Dayanand Saraswathi interview - Very interesting stand taken by Swami

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 14 08:47:25 CST 2017

Kripaji - PraNAms
If one has studied the scriptures under a competent teacher, then one has understood the essence. Abidance in the knowledge is a separate question and depends on the chittasuddhi.

Couple of years back I had posted a series of articles on the obstacles for self realization; some of them based on Goudapada's Mandukya Kaarika. Currently I am posting them on facebook - whenever I find time.
Swami Paramarthanandaji provides a simple way measuring how far one is able to abide in the knowledge. Abidance in the knowledge is not a discrete event.  He calls it as FIR reduction - that is as one abides in the knowledge,  F- the Frequency of perturbation of the mind as one transacts in the world, I-the Intensity of perturbation and R- the recovery time from perturbation goes down. The nidhidhyaasana is a life long process for most of us. Hence Vidyaranya classifies Jeevan muktas into catogaries - the classification is only based on the purity of the mind and how much one can abide in the knowledge, what Bhgavan Ramana calls as dRiDaiva niShTa or jnaana niShTa. Vidhyaranyha also prescribes the meditation on aham brahmasmi in Pachadashi after gaining the kowledge for jnana nishta, for those who are unable to do it otherwise.

As Shankara says one should not get burned when he makes contact with the world.
Hope this helps
Hari Om!Sadananda