[Advaita-l] An instance of malicious interpretation of the Atharvaśirā upaniṣad

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 13:15:48 CST 2017

Dear friends,

The statement "They say animal sacrifices are  not actual animals but only Pashus made
 of  vegetarian grains"  may not be (I repeat <may not be>) without some valid points.

It is believed that the sacrificed pashus (obviously the non-vegetarian pashus) will take revenge on the sacrificer by eating the flesh of the latter (sacrificer), in the next birth and Manu also seems to have indicated this. This can possibly be obviated if the sacrificed pashu itself is a non-carnivorous animal or if vegetables like Kushmanda are sacrificed as Bali. The flesh eaters among the Hindus, eat the meat of the non-carnivorous animals. It is also believed that eating meat of non-vegetarian pashus (i.e., carnivorous animals) will make the mare aggressive and brutal. However, Vishwamitra is said to have taken dog's meat to save his life,  when there was a famine, but I do not recollect the reference at this time

As regards Soma, I understand that only a small quantity is taken by the priest, that too after diluiting that with milk. As regards the Sura the finger is dipped and sucked, which ensures that only an insignificant amount is consumed. I am open to correction.

Regards,
Sunil KB