[Advaita-l] Looking for a verse: अवश्यं भाविभावानां.....

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 12:13:08 CST 2017

Looking for a verse: अवश्यं भाविभावानां.....

In the Panchadashi of Vidyaranya, in the 7th chapter we have a verse:

अवश्यं भाविभावानां प्रतीकारो भवेद्यदि ।
तदा दुःखैर्न लिप्येरन् नलरामयुधिष्ठिराः ॥१५५॥
156. If it were possible to avert the consequences of fructifying Karma,
Nala, Rama and Yudhisthira would not have suffered the miseries to which
they were subjected.
This verse is cited along with several other verses under the head
'bhārata' (Mahabharata?) by Sri Viśveśvara Saraswati in his Yatidharma
sangraha (p.140 print and 149 of pdf) while discussing the need for a
sannyāsin to leave things to prārabdha and not be concerned about the basic
needs for sustenance.
It appears that Vidyaranya too has cited that verse from some other source.
I would like to know which is the original source of this verse.  The
Mahabharata is also a possible source. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks and regards
subrahmanian.v