[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Looking for a verse: अवश्यं भाविभावानां.....

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:15:11 CST 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM, श्रीमल्ललितालालितः via Advaita-l <

> Same appears in जीवन्मुक्तिविवेकः.
> I think it has been taken from योगवासिष्ठः .
> See a link with hints:
> http://sadgurusmaran.blogspot.in/2012/10/34.html

Thanks for the link which hints at the Yogavasishtha source. If there is a
YV unicode resource, maybe we can search for this verse there. YV is a very
old text and Sri Vidyaranya has quoted extensively from there in the JVM.
In fact in the Panchadashi context, this verse appears amidst some other
verses, from the BG, etc. which are all citations. Hence it is likely that
this verse is from a source outside the Panchadashi.

The Yogavasishtha also presents Rama as deeply affected by the ways of the
world, life, etc. and that is where the enquiry into the nature of samsāra,
remedy, etc. start as a dialogue between Vasishtha and Rama.

There are said to be half a dozen commentaries to the YV. Vidyaranya says
while referring to the YV verses, 'vālmiki says...'. So, there has been a
belief that the YV is also a part of Ramayana or an independent work by
Valmiki.

The inclusion of Rama along with Nala and Yudhishthira is somewhat strange.
However, in the Valmiki Ramayana we have verses from the mouth of Rama
expressing the miserable times he is undergoing.

https://www.valmiki.iitk.ac.in/sloka?field_kanda_tid=3&language=dv&field_sarga_value=63

स लक्ष्मणं शोकवशाभिपन्नं शोके निमग्नो विपुले तु रामः।
उवाच वाक्यं व्यसनानुरूपमुष्णं विनिश्श्वस्य रुदंत्सशोकम्।।3.63.2।।
Plunged in deep grief, Rama heaved hot sighs and said these words to
griefstricken Lakshmana, *weeping:*

न मद्विधो दुष्कृतकर्मकारी मन्ये द्वितीयोऽस्ति वसुन्धरायाम्।
शोकेन शोको हि परम्पराया मा मेति भिन्दन्हृदयं मनश्च।।3.63.3।।
I think there is none on earth like me who has performed such forbidden
acts. One grief after the other is successively piercing my heart and my
mind.

पूर्वं मया नूनमभीप्सितानि पापानि कर्माण्यसकृत्कृतानि।
तत्रायमद्यापतितो विपाको दुःखेन दुःखं यदहं विशामि।।3.63.4।।
In the past I had certainly done some sinful deeds I often liked the
consequences of which have descended on me now as I am experiencing one
sorrow after another.

राज्यप्रणाशस्स्वजनैर्वियोगः पितुर्विनाशो जननीवियोगः।
सर्वाणि मे लक्ष्मण शोकवेगमापूरयन्ति प्रविचिन्तितानि।।3.63.5।।
O Lakshmana, loss of kingdom, separation from kith and kin, death of
father, separation from mother--all these thoughts augment my sorrow faster
and in greater measure.

सर्वं तु दुःखं मम लक्ष्मणेदं शान्तं शरीरे वनमेत्य शून्यम्।
सीतावियोगात्पुनरप्युदीर्णं काष्ठैरिवाग्निस्सहसा प्रदीप्तः।।3.63.6।।
O Lakshmana, all this sorrow calmed down when I came to this solitary
forest. But with Sita's separation, it was rekindled just as fire blazes
forth again with logs of wood.