[Advaita-l] Is there a 'Hari-Hara Avatāra' of Viṣṇu?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 21:28:08 CST 2017

I have provided a translation for those who cannot read Tamil. Please see
between the lines below.

regards
subbu

>> > In this explanation of a Srivaiṣṇava scholar:
>> >
>> > http://dravidaveda.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=art
>> icle&id=3044
>> >
>> > *ஸ்ரீ காஞ்சி பிரதிவாதி பயங்கரம் அண்ணங்கராசாரியார் எழுதிய*
>> >
>> > *விளக்க உரை*

The explanation of a poem of an Azhwar by PBA (A scholar of Srivaishnava
following) is:

>> > ***- எம்பெருமான் செய்தருளின பல அவதாரங்களில் சங்கர நாராயணவதார மென்பது
>> > மொன்று, இது ஹரிஹராவ்தாரமென்றும் சொல்லப்படும்.

Of the many avataras of Vishnu, the 'Shankara-Narayana' avatara is also
one. This is also termed as 'Hari-Hara Avataara'.

> பாதிவடிவம்
>> > ஸ்ரீமந்நாராயணமூர்த்தி யாகவும் பாதிவடிவம் பரமசிவமூர்த்தியாகவும்
>> கொண்டதாமிது,
>>
> It consists of half-Narayana and half-Paramasiva forms.

> > எம்பெருமான் கொண்ட கோலங்களெல்லாம் பகவத்பக்தர்கட்கு உத்தேச்யமாகையாலே
>> > இவ்வுருவந்தன்னையும் ஆழ்வார்கள் அநுஸந்தித்துப் பாசுரங்கள் பேசுவதுண்டு.

Since all the forms that the Lord assumed are aimed at gracing the
devotees, this form too has been contemplated upon by the Azhwars in their
songs.