[Advaita-l] An interesting observation by a Vishishtādvaitin

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jul 12 03:14:53 EDT 2017

The name of the divine is more powerful than the divine is our belief. The sloka I quote "Harir harathi papani dhushta Chithair api smrutha :Anichayapi samsprushtum dhahathyeva hi pavaka :" This says that just like fire who ever touches even unintentionally does burn the nama of the Lord even uttered by bad minded ones will prove beneficial to that person. R.
Krishnamoorthy.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

That is really very nice one to hear.  The bhagavat tattva is like a powerful  fire, knowing or without knowing you touch it you feel it!!  Now the bagavat tattva has been restricted to only some nAma like keshava, maadhava, nArAyaNa, hari, vishNu etc. to feel its heat or can we call it by any name (without even knowing what exactly it means) and expect the results??  Again asking about the result is immaterial here since the karma / kriya (bhagavannaama smaraNa) what we are doing is without our conscious effort to 'achieve' 'some' result. For example we might be thinking about 'hariNi' but the nAma 'hari' in the word hariNi would / should fetch us the required purity through  'hari karuNa.  But I don’t think that is what is intended when eulogizing the importance of mere remembering nAma over bhAva.

In this regard would like to recall the dialogue of HH Sri Chandrashekhara bhArati swAminaH on skipping one's own dharma / duty and spending the time on nAma smaraNa / bhajana instead.  Might be available somewhere in web I think.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar