[Advaita-l] Fwd: Did an Advaitin plot to murder Ramanuja?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 00:54:53 EDT 2017

Forwarding to this forum a post that appeared in the Advaitin forum:

On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 4:22 PM, kuntimaddi sadananda
kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com [advaitin] <advaitin at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

These stories are not different from the stories that we read in the
Shankara Digvijayas where there were episodes to kill Shankara too. ​

The best thing to do is ignore these cock and bull stories and concentrate
on the essence of the teachings.

​The stories are so elaborately given that many followers will not just
ignore them. You yourself elaborated the details before calling it a cock
and bull story! IMO, the Tantrika wanting to offer Bhagavatpadacharya as a
bali for siddhi is not the same as an Advaita Acharya plotting to kill a
student since the former is not unheard of, particular tantramArgas centre
around bali and siddhis, and I doubt if such a tAntra follower would object
saying that no tAntrika will offer bali However, the latter sounds
ridiculous. So I will go ahead and make a statement--

If the Acharya was an Advaitin, there was no plot to kill the student. If
he really planned to kill his student, he wasn't an Advaitin at all. In the
latter pakSha, since he didn't understand Advaita well, he passed on the
confusion to his students and we know the rest. :)

I saw a scene in some Kannada serial called "Madhva/ Madhvacharya" some
years back and saw another ridiculous scene of an Advaitin poisoning the
Dvaitin for losing in the vidvatsabhA debate! :) Now that is another cock
and bull story.

I consider all these plots as plots invented to paint the Advaitin in the
grey.

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */​