[Advaita-l] Vaadiraaja Teertha's Yuktimallika - Advaita Criticism - Slokas 1-511 to 1-524

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 12:59:25 EDT 2017

Shankara about the Veda:

 न हि शास्त्रविहितं किञ्चिदकर्तव्यतामियात् । [Iśāvāsya bhāṣya] [Indeed
nothing that the śāstra enjoins deserves noncompliance.]

मातृपितृसहस्रेभ्योऽपि हितैषिणा वेदेनोपदिष्टमात्मैकत्वदर्शनं
शान्तदर्पैरादरणीयमित्यर्थः ॥ [Kaṭha. 2.1.15 bhāṣya] ['Therefore one should
honor the teaching of the realization of the One Atman given out by the
Veda which is our benefactor more than a thousand parents.]

न ह्युपेक्षितव्यमिति श्रुतिरनुकम्पया आह मातृवत्,
अतिसूक्ष्मबुद्धिविषयत्वाज्ज्ञेयस्य  [Kaṭha 1.3.14] ['Not to be
ignored...thus the Veda like the mother, says, with compassion since the
Jñeya Brahman is extremely subtle to grasp']

A noted Madhva scholar Dr.Anandatirtha Vysampayanacharya Nagasampige,
Director, Purnaprajna Samshodhana Mandiram, a Bangalore-based premier
Madhva research institution run under the patronage of Sri Vishvesha Tirtha
SwamigaLu, the seer of the Pejawar Mutt (whose disciple is the author),
writes in his popular Kannada book: 'Mata traya sameekshaa':

// * ಮೂರು ದರ್ಶನಗಳಲ್ಲಿರುವ ಸಮಾನತೆಗಳು:*  ಅದ್ವೈತ-ವಿಶಿಷ್ಟಾದ್ವೈತ ಹಾಗೂ ದ್ವೈತ
ಸಿದ್ಧಾಂತಗಳಲ್ಲಿ ಸ್ಥೂಲವಾಗಿ ಕೆಲವು ಸಮಾನತೆಗಳನ್ನು ನಾವು ಕಾಣಬಹುದಾಗಿದೆ:

The Madhva scholar goes on to list other 'commonalities' across the Three
Acharyas:

*1. All the Acharyas agree that the Veda is apauruSheya and is the
parama-pramANa. (he quotes appropriate passages from the works of the three
Acharyas which substatiate this)*

3. That karma is subsidiary to Jnana and is the cause for chitta-shuddhi is
admissible to all the Three Acharyas. The Shankara-passage given for this
is:

....अग्निहोत्रादिलक्षणं कर्म ब्रह्मचर्यादिलक्षणं च अनुग्राहकं भवति
विद्योत्पत्तये. (Taittiriya Up.Bhashya 1.11)  [for the karmas such as
Agnihotra, as also the practices of celibacy, etc., undertaken in the past
lives, become helpful to the rise of knolwedge....]

vs

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <