[Advaita-l] (no subject)

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 03:21:24 EDT 2017

Namaste Praveen Ji,

Reg << but chaitanya itself can be called as shrotra, etc, with the upAdhi,
but not Maya/ avidyA with the upAdhi.>>,

wherever  it is said avidya covers (AvaraNa) chaitanya, the position is
exactly the same as with shrotra etc. Avidya by itself cannot cover, it is
enabled to do so only because of Chaitanya. But then Chaitanya goes by the
name of avidya itself, just as with shrotra etc. I hope I have at least
 made my point understandable.

Reg  << I try to maintain that whenever mAya or avidyA are talked of as the
cause of the world, it is with chaitanya as adhiShTAna, but when jIva is
talked of as the cause of the world, it is with mAya/ avidyA as upAdhi >>,

I hope I have understood you correctly when I make the following point. It
just represents my understanding, different from the above, but no claim is
made that my view only is correct. Just take it at its face value and if
you disagree, fine. No issues.  BU states

<< तद्धेदं तर्ह्यव्याकृतमासीत् (taddhedaM tarhyavyAkRRitamAsIt) >>.

At this stage chaitanya is adhiShTAna only, but Creation has not taken
place. TU states

<< सोऽकामयत  (so.akAmayata) >>.

This represents association with upAdhi after which only Creation takes
place. Hence it is only after mAyA becomes an upAdhi for Chaitanyam,
Creation takes place. Not when Chaitanyam is an adhiShTAna only. I have
resorted to different Upanishads since I could not readily get the
references I wanted from the same Upanishad. This should not be a problem.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>