[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 04:02:01 EDT 2017

Namaste Chandramouliji,

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 1:25 PM, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Reg  << In the strict analysis, I cannot see brahman being अधिष्ठान as
> the same as meaning माया as अध्यस्त, else it will amount to say that the
> holder of शक्ति is the cause for that शक्ति।>>,
>

> My understanding is that the term for mAyA as shakti in sidhanta is not in
> the sense of power (to be wielded by another person shakta), but is
> synonymous with mAyA itself. In other words the term shakti is used in the
> sense of a  vastu, just like mAyA/avidya is.
>

> And I'm not saying anything different than "shakti is synonymous with
mAyA", unless your statement is "shakti is synonymous with brahman
itself".​ If you are indeed saying the latter, that is also true, yet only
in the sense of तेजसः उष्णवत्, the heat/ burning power of fire is
non-different from fire, that is it can neither be separated from fire nor
can exist without fire, but fire is not heat. Similarly, Maya can neither
be separated from brahman, nor can it exist apart from brahman, but brahman
is not Maya.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */
​