[Advaita-l] jeevo brahmaiva naparaH

balagopal ramakrishnan rbalpal at yahoo.co.in
Fri Mar 17 02:55:17 EDT 2017

Namaste,
Apart from the 'BrahmajnAnAvalimAlA' where else does a similar verse appear as ' ardha shlokena pravakshyAmi...'
Regards
Balagopal

    On Saturday, 11 March 2017 9:30 AM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 This is a list that has encouraged careful and scholarly discussions from
its inception, even when some topics lead to highly charged atmospheres.
May I point out that in order to maintain that standard, we need to be
careful to cite and quote correctly?

I have not seen any text that says jIva brahmaiva na paraH. The actual pAda
of the verse, as found in the brahmajnAnAvalImAlA, a prakaraNa grantha, is
as follows -

jIva brahmaiva nAparaH, (i.e. na aparaH).

The presence of a-kAra, before the word para, calls for a very different
manner of discussion about the meaning of this sentence. In essence, it
teaches the equation of tvam-pada (jIva) with the tat-pada (brahma), which
only happens along with the realization of the quality of mithyAtva of the
jagat (vAcArambhaNaM nAmadheyaM, that prapanca is only the vyA-karaNa of
the tattvAnyatvAbhyAm anirvacanIya avyAkRta nAmarUpa, etc).

The vast amount of discussion that has taken place, assuming that the
reading is "na paraH" is mostly misleading, with respect to what the verse
is actually saying.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 1:16 AM, balagopal ramakrishnan via Advaita-l <