[Advaita-l] Fantastic Rudram Chamakam chanting by 21 Priests

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Thu May 4 10:59:56 EDT 2017

The apara-kArya mantras are in taittiriiya aaraNyaka, prashnam 6. I have
heard these kind of superstitious tales from a few people. The teacher who
taught me this prashnam told me that his guru used to make fun of such
people saying "ennaDaa, intha mantram sonnaa yaman vanduDuvaanaa?" ("Will
Yama come here if I say these mantras?). As a matter of fact only the first
2 and last 2 anuvaakas of that prashna are used in apara kaaryas. If you
really don't want to listen to mantras used in apara kaaryas, that would
eliminate puruSha sUktam and whole other litany of mantras commonly used in
puujaas as well. My current guru also voiced the same opinion. It's up to
you to not listen to these mantras or not, this is all just FYI.

The kuuShmaaNDa homa mantras are in aaraNyaka, prashna 2. anuvaakas 3, 4
and 5 contain the homa mantras, anuvaaka 6 is the upasthaana mantram,
anuvaakas 7 & 8 are the kuuShmaaNDa braahmaNam

Rama