[Advaita-l] Shodashopachara during Homa/Havan

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue May 16 05:26:13 EDT 2017

During any homa, after invoking the devata in the Agni, we do a quick shodashopachara.

My question is whether the akshata and pushpa used for avahana, simhasana, vastra, yajnopavita, Pushpak Hans etc should be offered into the fire or in front of the Vedi ?
I've seen both practices, hence the question.

Any pramanas/shistachara references would also be appreciated.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I think it depends on the adhvaryu...As I have seen most of the priests who do Pooja before hOma would offer kusumAkshata directly to agni but arghyam pAdyaM etc. offering water in front of the agni on mekhala...naivedya (like fruits, dates, sugar candy etc.) also directly offered to agni after doing the abhighAra.

With regard to pramANa, as sri Ananda Hudli prabhuji pointed out you may find the same in Agama texts or it is only a practice deloped over a period of time.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar