[Advaita-l] Sri Dakshinamurthy Stotra

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed May 17 08:21:08 EDT 2017

Namaste Chandramouliji,

First off, thanks a bunch for quoting DSV/ EJV in relation to DMS. I
remember sourcing the two volumes that you quote from, in almost
dilapidated state long back, but I haven't referred to them thus far. Last
time I looked, I couldn't find the books. I look forward to reading them
now, all the more, even from an online copy. :)

Sorry, I do not have any specific references that you ask for. However, all
verses of DMS, except for the 5th verse, have all the words that stand for
the कर्ता, भोक्ता, शिष्य, गुरु and दक्षिणामूर्ति in सामानाधिकरण्यम्,
meaning they have the same locus. That surely says its EJV, and since the
1st verse mentions आत्मनि पश्यन् बहिः इव, it also confirms DSV. I have
another reason for the same, which I'd mentioned on this list earlier, and
that is the word कुरुते in the 1st verse, that has a give-away आत्मनेपद
usage to confirm that it is indeed DSV/ EJV. In व्याकरण, आत्मनेपद usage of
a उभयपदी धातु is to be justified with applicable sutras and the only one
that I see fitting here is स्वरितञितः कर्त्रभिप्राये क्रियाफले [आत्मनेपदम्]
which says that the आत्मनेपद प्रत्यय is to be used when the फल of the
action accrues to the कर्ता of the action. The creation by Ishvara as
taught in SDV/NJV is for the benefit of the jIvas. Here, however, it is
clear that the सृष्टिकर्ता himself is the फलभोक्ता also, thereby meaning
EJV.

​I do not know anyone who really teaches DSV in the sampradAya as a main
prakriyA, at least not publicly, including the first two you have listed.
Many just mention it in passing. So I wouldn't be surprised if no one talks
of this stotra as a DSV/EJV. Now, to be sure, do they specifically say that
it is SDV/ NJV? That I would really be surprised of, since that IMO cannot
be established just DMS.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 5:19 PM, H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <