[Advaita-l] Fwd: Rama and Krishna are Jiva-s - Mahabharata

Kalyan kalyan_kg at yahoo.com
Sun May 21 00:59:58 EDT 2017

For all my statements, I provided a logical explanation. If they looked like personal attacks to you, I cant help it.

 Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Fwd: Rama and Krishna are Jiva-s - Mahabharata
 To: "Kalyan" <kalyan_kg at yahoo.com>, "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
 Date: Sunday, May 21, 2017, 4:48 AM

 (replying to the group)
 On Sat, May 20, 2017
 at 11:18 PM, Kalyan via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>
 wrote:
 Dear Sri Sriram

 I have not made any personal attacks against Sri
 Subrahmanian - the person who gave the arguments, so your
 contention is wrong.Holding that your questions are to
 Advaitins, all the sentences that attacks Advaitins can be
 ad hominem. The arguments are originally from Appayya
 Dikshitar, while Sri Subrahmanian brought it forth for us.
 The sentences including​1.
 ​"​Looks
 like advaitins are a divided lot since Shankara and
 Madhusudhana Saraswati consider Krishna as Ishwara and the
 latter considers Rama also as Ishwara.​"​ rather
 than, "How can we reconcile the opinions
 of Sri Shankaracharya and Sri Madhusudhana
 Saraswathi who consider ..."
 2. Appayya Dikshitha probably has
 not studied the entire Mahabharata3​. Appayya Dikshita ultimately comes
 out as a very poor reader of the great epic.​ ​were ad
 hominem.​  I have only said that
 Appayya Dikshita comes across as a poor reader of the epic.
 Here is the reason why - Rama does not become a jIva just
 because he goes to svarga and is under Indra's lordship
 because Ishwara can be present in multiple places at the
 same time. Krishna does not become a jIva because he says he
 fell under delusion because the Mahabharata itself says that
 Krishna beguiles everyone and does actions as though he is
 powerless.

 Ishannapi mahAyogI sarvasya jagato hariH |

 karmANyArabhate kartuM kInAsha iva durbalaH || 14||

 tena va~nchayate lokAnmAyAyogena keshavaH |

 ye tameva prapadyante na te muhyanti mAnavAH || 15||
 (Mbh.5.66)

 So the so-called stray verses that Appayya Dikshita was
 using were not really showing jIvatva of either Rama or
 Krishna.

 Exactly, all advaitis agree to
 this claim of yours! These verses DO NOT establish the
 jivatva of Rama or Krishna. But on the other hand, if
 somebody quotes similar verses on Shiva and claim Shiva is
 jiva, it cannot be accepted. All that Appayya dikshitar
 ​ ​has shown is that, using the
 above said logic, even Rama or Krishna can be proved to be
 Jiva.​
 Regards

 Kalyan

 ------------------------------ --------------

 On Sat, 5/20/17, Sriram
 Sankaranarayanan <ssriram1992 at icloud.com>
 wrote:

  Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Fwd: Rama and Krishna are Jiva-s
 - Mahabharata

  To: "A discussion group for Advaita
 Vedanta" <advaita-l at lists.advaita-
 vedanta.org>, "Kalyan" <kalyan_kg at yahoo.com>

  Date: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 10:40 PM

  Dear Kalyan

  ji,

  While kindly

  advising you to refrain from ad hominem (attacking the

  arguing person rather than the argument) I would like to

  answer  you.

  Please

  read the link sent by Sri Subramaniam ji. Appayya
 Dikshita

  is indeed saying that "if you can pick individual

  phrases from Ramayana Mahabharata etc and claim Shiva is

  Jeeva, it is not difficult to pick isolated phrases, or
 even

  chapters to show Rama and Krishna are jeeva. He just
 showed

  that with clever choice of selecting stanzas, even the

  counter argument can be implied. All that Sri  Appayya

  Dikshita claims finally is Hari-Hara abheda.

  It is the same paramatma who is

  brahma, shiva, Hari or Indra. "Sa brahma sa

  shiva sa hari saendra "

  On Sat, May 20,
 2017

  at 3:33 PM Kalyan via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-
 vedanta.org>

  wrote:

  I have

  touched upon only Rama. The idea that the Mahabharata

  considers Krishna as not Ishwara, is not even worth

  refuting. It is hilarious. At so many places in the

  Mahabharata is Krishna described as Ishwara, that it is

  pointless to list them all. Appayya Dikshita ultimately

  comes out as a very poor reader of the great epic.

  Regards

  Kalyan

  ------------------------------ --------------

  On Sat, 5/20/17, Kalyan via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-
 vedanta.org>

  wrote:

   Subject: Re: [Advaita-l] Fwd: Rama and Krishna are
 Jiva-s

  - Mahabharata

   To: "A discussion group for Advaita Vedanta"

  <advaita-l at lists.advaita-
 vedanta.org>

   Cc: "Kalyan" <kalyan_kg at yahoo.com>

   Date: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 6:40 PM

   Appayya Dikshitha probably
 has not studied

   the entire Mahabharata. In
 Shanti parvan, when Vishnu

  shows

   his Vishwaroopa to Narada, Vishnu says that he will be

  born

   as Dasaratha's son Rama.

   sandhau tu samanuprApte
 tretAyAM

   dvAparasya cha |

   rAmo dAsharathirbhUtvA bhaviShyAmi

   jagatpatiH || Mbh 12.326.78

   Thus, the Mahabharata itself

   establishes Rama as Ishwara. Moreover Valmiki Ramayana

  also

   considers Rama as Ishwara. One must not study a text in

  bits

   and pieces.

   Regards

   Kalyan

   ----------------------------- -------------

   On Sat, 5/20/17, V Subrahmanian via

   Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-
 vedanta.org>

   wrote:

    Subject: [Advaita-l] Fwd: Rama and

   Krishna are Jiva-s - Mahabharata

    To: "A discussion group for Advaita

    Cc: "V Subrahmanian" <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>

    Date: Saturday, May 20, 2017, 3:26 AM

    A post on the above topic is available

   here

    for reading:

    https://adbhutam.wordpress.
 com/2017/05/20/rama-and- krishna-are-jiva-s-
 mahabharata/

    regards

    subrahmanian.v

    In the short work 'Bhārata sāraga

    sangraha stotram', Sri Appayya

   Dikshita

    concludes by pointing out that Rama

   and

    Krishna were jiva-s, endowed with

    karma, delusion, etc. on the

   authority

    of the Mahabharata:

    गोप्तारं ततो

    गच्छेत्

   सरव्यास्तीर्थमुत्तमम्

    ।

    तत्र रामो गतः

    स्वर्गं

   सभृत्यबलवाहनः ॥

    देहं

    त्यक्त्वा

   दिवं यातः

   स्थास्यतीन्द्रस्य

    वैभवात् ।’

    [Rama went to svarga along with his

    retinue, after giving up the body,

   and

    remains there with Indra's lordship.]

    इति

   गोप्रतारतीर्थमहिम्ना

    श्रीरामस्य

   स्वर्गप्रतिष्ठावचनात्;

    सभापर्वणि

    यमसभावर्णने -

    Having thus proclaimed the greatness

   of

    Go-pratāra, Sri Rama's settlement

    in Svarga, the sabhā parvan of the

    Mahabharata while describing the

    Assembly Hall of Yama further says:

    तस्यां

    राजर्षयः

   पुण्यास्तथा

   देवर्षयोऽमराः ।

    यमं वैवस्वतं

    तात

   प्रहृष्टाः

    पर्युपासते ॥

    ययातिर्नहुषः

   पूरुर्मान्धाता

  सोमको

    नृगः ।

    इत्यारभ्य

   स्वर्गप्राप्त्यनन्तरं

   यमसभायामास्थाय

    तमुपासीनानां

    राजर्षीणां

    परिगणनेन,

    ’रामो

   दाशरथिश्चैव

    लक्षमणश्च

   प्रतर्दनः’

    इति परिगणनेन च

   सोऽपि

   कर्माधीनलोकप्राप्तिको

    जीवविशेषः

   स्यात् ।

    In the Assembly Hall of Yama are

    present: Rajarshi-s with puṇya,

    devarshi-s, deva-s, who happily

    meditate upon Yama. Also are Yayati,

    Nahusha, Puru, Māndhāta, Somaka,

    Nṛga. Having enumerated those

   present in

    the Assembly and meditating Yama, the

    Mahabharata includes: Rāma the son

   of

    Dasharatha, Lakshmana and Pratardana.

    By so counting Rama along with all

    other entities, it can be concluded

    that Rama is a jiva who has attained

    loka that is subject to and

   attainable

    by karma.

    Read the full post in the URL

   provided

    above.

   _____________________________
 __________________

    Archives: http://lists.advaita-vedanta.
 org/archives/advaita-l/

    http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.
 culture.religion.advaita

    To unsubscribe or change your

    http://lists.advaita-vedanta.
 org/cgi-bin/listinfo/advaita-l

    For assistance, contact:

    listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

   _____________________________ __________________

   Archives: http://lists.advaita-vedanta.
 org/archives/advaita-l/

   http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.
 culture.religion.advaita

   To unsubscribe or change your options:

   http://lists.advaita-vedanta.
 org/cgi-bin/listinfo/advaita-l

   For assistance, contact:

   listmaster at advaita-vedanta.
 org

  listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

  --

  Sriram Sankaranarayanan

  PhD Candidate,

  Center for

  Systems Science and Engineering|Latrobe 302

  Johns Hopkins University.

  Ph:

  +1 (443) 713 6818

  Personal Group LinkedIn