[Advaita-l] Question/Clarification on Chanting Vaidika mantras

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 11:32:50 EDT 2017

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> A small follow-up...I am aware of Rudra prashna chanting being enjoined
> even for yatis. But is chanting of the other common sUktas without any
> particular context efficacious or even permissible ?

While the Kaivalyopanishat which has Rudra as the Parabrahman,
jagatkāraṇam, enjoins the yati to chant the Rudra prashna by which he
becomes purified of all defects and also attains the Jnanam, the Aruni
Upanishad says:   and recite just the Aranyakas
<https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Aranyaka&item_type=topic> and the
Upanishads.  The Jābāla upanishad too specifies the Rudra Prashna as
containing those names which form the means to attain the liberating
knowledge. It is also customary to recite the Taittiriya Upanishad
Anandavalli and Bhruguvalli when a Yati is taken on procession, a Yati's
ārādhana, etc.

regards
subbu