[Advaita-l] Fwd: Rudra in the form of a babe

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 07:19:07 EDT 2017

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 5:12 PM, Nithin Sridhar <sridhar.nithin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Among the Bhairavas worshiped in tantric and agamic traditions, Vatuka
> Bhairava is one of the forms very famous. But, do not think this answers
> your Question though.

Dear Nithin,

There is a popular name among South Indian Tamils: Vatuka nāthan, or
Vaduganāthan, among Chettiars, etc. There is a temple too for Lord Shiva,
by this name:

http://astrologicalscience.blogspot.in/2011/10/sage-agathiar-about-bairavar-worship.html

Here one can see the name Bhairava associated to Vaduganathan.

A Tamil article says: //காசி விஸ்வநாதர் தன்னுடைய கால பைரவரை மூர்த்திகளில்
ஒருவரான வடுக பைரவரை இந்த வனத்திற்கு அனுப்பி வைத்தார்.//

form called 'Vatuk Bhairava' (a form of Kāla Bhairava, a famous temple in
Varanasi) to the Southern spot in the Tamil region.  In commemoration of
this event, the temple there is known as Vaduganathar.  You can see the
very Vatuk Bhariva is stationed here.

Thanks for your reply which triggered my curiosity and the above is the
result.

The famous hymn to Kālabhairava is composed by Adi Shankara.

 Names 'Batuk Shastri' are common among North Indian Brahmins. The V and B
are interchangeable. Vaṭu is a boy who is endowed with the upanayana
samskara.

regards
subbu