[Advaita-l] Significance of Mula Avidya

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 27 03:03:30 EDT 2017

 Which one is bhavarupa? Seeing a snake or not knowing the rope? Because even if we realize 'It is not a snake', we may think 'Oh, it's an eel' or 'Oh, it's a tail'. As 'Knowing it as rope' alone can dispel 'Not knowing the rope', shouldn't this be the actual avidya?
    On Friday 27 October 2017, 11:44:01 AM IST, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Ravi Kiran via Advaita-l <

> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 12:10 AM, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <
>
> > The Vedanta teaches that knowledge dispels ignorance. Hence, to be
> > dispelled, such an avidyā has to be an existent, positive, bhāvarūpa.
>  If
> > such ignorance is not admitted to be bhāvarūpa, knowledge cannot dispel
> > anything.
>

> In rajju-sarpa or shell-silver bhrama, if sarpa jnAna (in rajju) or rajata
> jnAna (in shell) is accepted as positive bhAvarUpa vastu, how can arising
> of rajju jnAna or shell jnAna later, dispel the ajnAna vastu, as jnAna is
> vastu-tantra and not kartru-tantra or kAraka ?

Right knowledge dispels wrong knowledge. When the wrong knowledge 'this is
a snake' is dispelled, there ceases the (wrong) perception of the snake.
The person gets the right knowledge, which no doubt is vastu tantra: he has
known the vastu. rope, there, through the right pramana. The wrong
knowledge did not arise through any pramana; it is not pramana janya.