[Advaita-l] Significance of Mula Avidya

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 03:17:11 EDT 2017

Namaste Adityaji,

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 6:24 PM, Aditya Kumar via Advaita-l <

>  One more question, if it makes any sense :
> Does Avidya always has to be associated with Jiva? At no point can we
> disassociate Jiva from Avidya. That means to say, Avidya always resides in
> a Jiva. But some people quote Brihadaranyaka 4.10 Shankara bhashya to
> support the view that Avidya resides in Brahman.

​​Although we have gone down this road before, I'll still mention
Naishkarmyasiddhikara's view that brahman's jIvatvam being due to avidyA,
the kArya (jIva) cannot precede the kAraNa (avidyA), and therefore, jIva
cannot be the locus of avidyA. If brahman is taken as the locus of avidyA,
the objection is that there will be dvaita, but it is refuted by stating
that the level of reality of yat-kinchid-bhAva-rUpa-avidyA and brahman are
not the same.

> Another question, what is the status of Avidya in deep sleep state?

​It remains in bijAvasthA, seed-form in suShupti.​

gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */​