[Advaita-l] vedAntins at the time of shankara

Kalyan kalyan_kg at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 17 00:45:52 EDT 2017

 //I have cited a Taittiriya Bhashya passage of Shankara where he declares that he, the monist, is the lone representative of the Vedanata and is faced with a number of non-monists who are outside the Vedanta. The subcommentator in the Br.Up.bhasya (if I remember right) has identified a purvapaksha as Bhartruprapanchamatam.//

But we know that Bhartrprapancha was also a vedAntin. Shankara's claim is typical of all schools. Every school thinks that it is the true vedAntic school. Viewed in this light, Shankara's claim does not provide us any historical information about existence of other vedAntic schools at his time. But his criticism of earlier commentators shows that such schools existed.

//In the Thangaswami research work on Advaita Vedanta literature, on p.191, on Upavarsha it is stated that the view of the Vishistadvaitins identifying Upavarsha with Bodhayana is incorrect.He considers Upavarsha as a vrittikara that Shankara alludes to.//

Ok. I myself am not sure if this identification is correct.

 //In this book Bhartrpraoancha is stated to be a bhedābhedavādin but not as an author of a vritti on the Brahmasutra.//

Narayana Panditacharya, the biographer of Madhva counts BhartRprapancha as a commentator on the brahmasutras.

Regards
Kalyan