[Advaita-l] tarpana vichaara / vidhi

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Sep 20 00:19:09 EDT 2017

Addressing a pitR as vasu-rudra-Aditya is as per the karta's context only, and not the absolute status of pitrus.

praNAms Sri Venkateswaran prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, from the tarpaNa vidhi it is clear that deceased soul's status is not absolute in pitru lOka it is in the context of kartru status varies.  BTW, I am not able to read your Sanskrit quote that line appeared with full of computer characters.  In the Apasthambha (Yajurveda)  or AshwalAyana (Rigveda),    here in South India smArta tradition, tarpaNa vidhi ends with a shloka meant to shorten the tarpaNa vidhi.  In case we are not able to give tarpaNa by saying their gOtra, nAma etc. to all the deceased,  then we say : A brahmastambha paryantaM devarshi pitrumAnavAH, trupyantu pitaraH sarve pitru mAtAmhAdayaH, ateeta kulakOteenAM saptadveepa nivAsinaam A brahma bhuvanAllOkAdidamastu tilOdakaM.  And if we donot know gOtra etc. to give tarpaNa, then we chant some other shloka and squeeze the water of upaveeta or vastra on the ground.  If you are quoting that shloka then that shloka did not say anything about 'katru based pitru status'.  Please clarify.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar

The following final tarpaNa given by yajur vedis also exemplifies this.
ऊर्जं वहन्तीरमृतं घृतं पयः कीलालं परिस्त्रुतम् । स्वधा स्थ तर्पयत मे पितॄन् ।।