[Advaita-l] cloning and inevitable mrutyu

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 00:39:37 EDT 2018

Namaste Nitin ji
You have written a commendable article on Abortion from a Dharmic
perspective with meticulous references from the traditional texts. Thank
you for the same. I had been looking for such an article for some time now.
Your articles are an excellent resource on an important dharmic issue.

While there are many points of importance, one issue is about whether a
foetus with a beating heart and which can feel pain is to be considered as
having the rights of an independent jiiva or not. You have suggested based
on texts, of course,  a 16 month cut-off, after which the foetus is a
fullfledged individual living being. And even before that, those who abort,
lose their varNa and have committed what is legally labelled homicide not
amounting to murder. But the general sense I get is that abortion before 16
weeks is equivalent an accidental killing. Do it's left to the choice of
the couple?

This topic is inherently painful to contemplate upon but we have to try and
be objective. A few points I wished to share -
1. The limit of 16 weeks for categorizing foetus as a living individual,
may be more of an indicative nature and the dauhRdi status where there are
two hearts beating in the enciente happens as early as 6 weeks into
pregnancy. And most definitely by the 8th week. Fetal pulse is clearly felt
from them on. The functioning heart is a sign of consciousness being
associated with the foetus, surely. As you wrote -
In the fourth month all the limbs and organs (of the body of the embryo)
become more potent and the fetus is endowed with consciousness owing to the
formation of viscus of the heart (Hrdaya). As heart is the seat of
consciousness, so as the heart becomes potent, it is endowed with
consciousness and hence it expresses its desire for things of taste, smell
etc. (through the longings of its mother).

The only factor is that this heart functioning etc starts at week 5 and is
clearly present by week 12 rather than week 16?

And the foetus feels pain because, the thalamus and cortex *start* getting
connected from 12 to 20 weeks. So killing a foetus at even 12 weeks amounts
to killing a living being with a beating heart and which can feel pain.
Although the complete connections are there only after about 16 to 20
weeks, there is evidence to indicate touch and pain in a foetus which is
even 12 weeks old. Please see this link of for a visual representations of
a foetus at 12 weeks.
https://in.pinterest.com/pin/181481059958351131/

Or
https://goo.gl/images/gIUS63

2.Two authentic shastra scholars one a senior Swami who had also studied
some of the smritis and another a grihastha paNDita held that the abortion
is a highly adharmic action at *all* stages of foetal development. Social
ostracism was only a shade less than capital punishment . The only
exceptions were to save the life of the mother etc. There was no question
of a couple choosing to abort since it was inconvenient or unplanned.

One last question - are there any spoken or written pronouncements of the
respected Shankaracharya Mahasamnidhanam of Sringeri or of Kanchi on this
issue of permissibility of abortion before 16 weeks ?

Thank you
Regards

Raghav

On Tue 24 Apr, 2018, 5:43 PM Nithin Sridhar via Advaita-l, <