[Advaita-l] jnAnaM jnaptiH

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 08:15:02 EDT 2018

Namaste.

The following is from the English translation by Sri Mahadeva  Shastri  of
the Bhashya and commentaries thereon by Sayanacharya, Sri Sureshvaracharya  and
 Sri Anandagiri Acharya on Taittariya Upanishad, as relevant to the topic
under discussion. Perhaps could serve as an elaboration on the post by Sri
Praveen Ji.

Sri Sayanacharya  << The word ‘jnAna’ means knowledge, Consciousness. Here
the word ‘ jnAna ‘ should be  derived so as to mean ‘knowledge’  itself,
but not “ that which knows”, since the word is used as an adjunct of
Brahman along with ‘real’ and ‘infinite’.>>

 Vartika of Sri Sureshvaracharya  <<  The word ‘jnana’ may be derived in
four ways: it may denote, with reference to the act of knowing, either  the
agent of the act, or the object of the act, or the instrument of the act,
or the act itself; i.e., it may mean the knower, or the object known, or
the instrument of knowledge, or the act of knowing. The question is, which
one of these is here meant?  Because the word is used to distinguish
Brahman from all else, and because it goes along with the adjunct
‘infinite’, the word should, in all propriety, mean ‘knowledge’ ; since,
otherwise, it is open to many objections. By ‘jnAna’ we should understand
that knowledge which is real  (i.e., unfailing )  and infinite. Thus as
standing  best to reason, the word ‘jnAna’ should be derived so as to mean
knowledge itself.>>

 Tika of Sri Anandagiri Acharya   <<  Elsewhere this etymology would make
‘jnAna’ mean the act of knowing ; but, here, from its association with the
adjuncts ‘real’ and ‘infinite’, the word ‘jnAna’ denotes Consciousness pure
and simple, the undifferentiated unconditioned Consciousness.>>

Unquote.

Regards

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 7:49 AM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <