[Advaita-l] Difference between prayer and meditation - Lesson from Nandi

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 06:55:11 EDT 2018

Subbuji - PraNAms.
Interesting.
I have been waiting.
Thank you
Hari Om!Sadananda

   On Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 3:32:16 AM EDT, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 The following was received in a Whatsapp group.

Suberb explanation on why in all Siva Mandirs Nandi is waiting outside, and
never inside the temple. We all need to learn this quality.

We have Nandi Parvath at Kailash also. Nandi Parikrama is also there.
Nowadays it's not permitted for all.

Sharing a beautiful explanation about Lord Shiva’s vehicle Nandi and
meditation.

Generally, we see Nandi sitting directly opposite the main door of the
temple where Shiva's idol or Shivalingam is located.

He is not waiting for him to come out and say something.

He is in waiting.

Nandi is a symbolism of eternal waiting, because waiting is considered the
greatest virtue in Indian culture.

One who knows how to simply sit and wait is naturally meditative.

He is not expecting anything. He will wait forever.

Nandi is Shiva’s closest accomplice because he is the essence of
receptivity.

Before you go into a temple, you must have the quality of Nandi - to simply
sit.

So, just by sitting here, he is telling you, “When you go in, don’t do
fanciful things.Don’t ask for this or that. Just go and sit like me."

The fundamental difference between Prayer & Meditation is that - Prayer
means you are trying to talk to God. Meditation means you are willing to
listen to God.

You are willing to just listen to existence, to the ultimate nature of
creation.

You have nothing to say, you simply listen.

That is the quality of Nandi – he just sits, alert, not sleepy. He is not
sitting passively. He is very active, full of alertness, full of life, but
just being – that is Meditation!