[Advaita-l] Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} 'Mahāmahopādhyāya' for Dr. Mani Dravid Śāstrī

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 06:21:02 EDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sudipta Munsi <sudiptamunsi1987 at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 2:11 PM
Subject: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} 'Mahāmahopādhyāya' for Dr. Mani Dravid Śāstrī
To: <bvparishat at googlegroups.com>

Dear List Members,

I feel extremely delighted to report the news of the conferment of the
honorific title of 'Mahāmahopādhyāya' upon Dr. Mani Dravid Śāstrī by the
Calcutta Sanskrit College and University, Kolkata today. Like all others,
it's a moment of great joy and pride for even an unworthy student of his
like me. The attached photographs and video of the investiture ceremony
were taken by Mr. Swastik Banerjee, another student of Śāstrīji's.

See the images here:

https://www.facebook.com/subrahmanian.vaidyanathan/posts/2272422486104433?__xts__[0]=68.ARCOHiFSQiiHY1y7ODsa8T7B7Ui9_0UD36dCIliTQ3-3EVDsvQGOTyH2nEhdSkJEDA2jgD93tSR0dU_gxM7tOxNlS71k_OTUajKOS_AHaC-gmLtgn0QQO0LNlWoaFhxPQ_A-7R0&__tn__=-R

It is for the second time that Śāstrīji received the title of
> Mahāmahopādhyāya. He first received it 3 years ago from Sri Lal Bahadur
> Shastri Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, New Delhi.

When the Calcutta Sanskrit College made the request to Sri Sastriji to
accept the honor, he politely refused, telling them that he was already
honored with that.  The College insisted that he accept it as this was
being given also keeping in mind that Sastriji's great grand father
(mother's grand father) had taught in that institution and that it would be
fitting to confer their first such honor on Sastriji.

regards
subrahmanian.v

On this occassion, I pay my heartfelt respects to Śāstrīji in the form of
the following Sanskrit verse that I composed this morning -

शास्त्रविदां वरिष्ठेभ्य आचार्येभ्यो
डक्टरश्रीमन्मणिद्रविडशास्त्रिमहाभागेभ्यः
कलिकातासंस्कृतमहाविद्यालयविश्वविद्यालयकर्तृक'महामहोपाध्याय'संज्ञकसाम्मानिकोपाधिप्रदानावसरे
तेषां छात्रेष्वधमाधमस्य मे श्लोकप्रसूनाञ्जलिः -

मीमांसाद्वयबोधभानुकिरणप्रद्योतितस्वान्तकं
तर्काम्भोरुहसारदाननिरतं शास्त्रार्थदिग्वारणम्।
सच्छात्रान्वयसेविताड़्घ्रियुगलं विद्यैकवित्तं परं
वन्देऽहं मणिसंज्ञकं सुरनिभं शास्त्रज्ञचूडामणिम्॥

Best regards,
Sincerely

Sudipta Munsi
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual.History of Asia,
Austrian Academy of Sciences,
Vienna.