[Advaita-l] shrAddha for the departed soul

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Feb 7 01:03:53 EST 2018

Paramacharyal explained that shrāddha is an obligatory duty that purifies the performer. He emphasised that the pitrus do no sustain themselves exclusively on the pinda that is offered during the shraaddha ceremony.

praNAms Sri Subbu prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Thanks for sharing the clarification by HH.  I am happy to note that unknowingly I have shared my thoughts with her something similar to this.  I told her,  whether pirtru-s are there in pitru lOka or not, whether they are in svarga or Naraka, whether they attained shAshwata brahmalOka, vaikunTa lOka, whether they have already taken re-birth or still in sUkshma deha/rUpa in pitru lOka,  we cannot ascertain here in this lOka.  So, irrespective of their status in some other lOka, being a putra one has to perform these rituals to his parents with utmost Shraddha as it is an obligatory duty in discharging the pitru ruNa.  And it is the only saMskAra that children will have to do to their departed parents and other saMskAra-s like from puMsavanAdi vivAha paryantaM parents will do to their kids.  And concluded my clarification, for doing  all these rituals with prescribed injunctions only shAstra is the pramANa.  Being a vaidika dharma follower we have to have unconditional ‘shraddha’ in our scriptures and we should not put these rituals and injunctions into logical scrutiny ☺ Though my intention at that time was just to convince her somehow, I now realized that my clarification is not that stupid ☺

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar