[Advaita-l] SADHANA - The different Paths

Ryan Armstrong ryanarm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 02:27:40 EST 2018

Namaste Sri Belavadi

In my understanding, the term गुरु refers to one who has realised the Truth
and knows (innately) अहम् ब्रह्मास्मि.
Manu says something about this as being the difference between an आचर्य and
a गुरु. (I shall have to find the reference if needed.)
The guru knows who he is and instructs the student as to how the student
may reach the same realisation.

As such, the guru IS the Absolute.
So I would say that it is quite redundant to say "immortal guru" since the
guru must be immortal in the first place for the title to be used.

Of course, this is within व्यवहार.
In the final verse of तत्त्वोपदेष (ascribed to aadi shankara)
states नाद्वैतं गुरुणा सह - There is no advaita between the guru (and the
student).
The guru exists while in ignorance and the seeker needs assistance to
dispel the ignorance.
Once ignorance is dispelled, the truth that only  Brahman exists is known,
and distinction of teacher/student falls away.

Yours in Truth
Ryan

On 16 January 2018 at 08:34, Belavadi Shankar via Advaita-l <